The morning started at 4 degrees and a sw wind 4 kmh overcast and the surface of the water were small rollers . The barometric pressure was 103 kpa
I met Steve aka Scouse at his house around 7:30 ands we ventured to French creek to launch the boat.
As we exited the marina we were met with small rollers but from a distance it looked like they were building. Using 15 lb. ball on the down rigger One side we used the green/ silver needle fish 4'' lure. Using a flasher on the down rigger ( a dummy flasher set up ) the CJ lure was 8 feet above and 10' farther above ,back from the flasher . We trolled between 2 to 3 miles per hour .
It was 8:25 am when the down rigger finally reached there the goal of 160' . After 32 minutes were readjusted the down rigger to 200' . The waves now have changed to white caps and continued to increase . The winds were now 15 kmh and gust getting stronger. We were thinking we would not want to stay out to long . Gusts now increasing to 27 kmh . At 9:20 am we thought we would change the lure when my rod released from the down rigger and was bouncing as the salmon hit hard and took off.
After a good fight we forgot about the weather and thought maybe a little while longer we can fish . The other rod had steves favourite hootchie and we removed it and put another CJ lure down .
We tried to stay fishing but the weather decided for us .We were being tossed dramatically. It got very dangerous . So better safe the sorry we packed it in. Thank good ness for the patch for sea sickness.
I personally believe we would have been into more salmon if we had the condition in our favour . So for one hour and one lure a beautiful 15 lb spring to hand . When we clean the spring there was a very large herring in its stomach .
Stay tune as we plan another trip
Edited: Feb 17, 2013 6:39PM